Join our mailing list for free monthly songs

Live at Liberty Lunch 

Silver Scooter Live at Liberty Lunch March 1997 

I click the play button on my old 4-Track and hear the crowd. I hear John’s voice and Tom’s sticks. I hear my old guitar being tuned by my 24-year old hands. I hear quiet stage banter between the three of us. We agree to start. The sticks click and bam we’re on playing “Biting my nails.”   

If I could feel the power harnessed by my old band Silver Scooter once again as it was when it was in the beginning, I would rejoice. I would actually kill to experience that 1967 Guild guitar tone vibrating my entire body, which was simultaneously being pulsed forward by Tom’s tom tom fills and John’s bass like a buzz saw. To taste a cold Lonestar from one of those bottles before it went crash in the barrel behind the bar - you know the guy behind the bar tossing bottles doesn’t give a shit about anything.  He just wants his shift to end so he can have sex with his girlfriend who’s working over at the Electric Lounge. He would have texted her. Those weren’t the days. 

I remember setting up my 4-Track cassette deck at center stage with my two SM-58s x/y’d above the monitors. I remember Dave McNair saying “yeah that’ll be great.” Liberty Lunch was a big venue especially for our little band back then.  To hear me say at the end of the set, “We have singles for sale in the back” makes me smile.  I remember stuffing those singles over at Travis’ apartment just off UT’s main drag Guadalupe. Folded xeroxed cover around 7” record, stuff in plastic. Next one. OK. Five hundred of those babies finished.  

Back to Liberty Lunch. I just heard my old self say, “This is a new song called Tractor Pull.” It was sounding great until the tape ran out and the second half of the song was gone just like that. No ‘shit-eating grins’ I guess. 

I have always written about the brain and the heart. I had a theory that the heart was actually in control, totally in control. The song ‘Brain and Heart’ live had power I didn’t give credit. It’s a fast song and has plenty of attitude. Tom rips off this snare roll for what seems like four measures while John and I are going absolutely Congress Ave. Bridge bat shit crazy.  

My favorite cut of the night is Longfence. It bounces and bobs through subtle tempo changes and volume. Tom starts it with his classic snare, tom, snare, tom every other beat hi-hat thingy he does so well. I can see his concentration in my mind’s eye right now. I’ve known this concentration for over 25 years.   

The songs I will be selecting to share sound as fresh today as they did in 1997. I’m more than positive a Lonestar still tastes as good as any beer on the planet. 

Please check out the Indiegogo campaign and consider making a pledge. When the campaign is at 60% I will be sharing what I've been listening to along with some other rare unreleased demos.  

Take care,



Personal Theme Song 

I have begun recording sessions in my 1991 VW Westfalia camper I call Ocean View Shangri-la.  She's a good machine.  I spent New Year's Eve under a canopy of clear constellations on the edge of the continent somewhere around Bolinas, CA.  I made a cup of tea and set up my computer, interface, and microphone.  I shot this video to prove it all happened.  It was cold.


Personal Theme Song from Scott Garred on Vimeo.

Happy Christmas and Merry New Year and Lighted Blessed Year 

Hi all,

Please enjoy yourselves as this crazy year wraps up.  So many legendary and ordinary people have passed away.  So much has happened in our political landscape.  So much is happening now as I type this.  I hope sincerely that you and your families and friends have a great holiday.  Be safe.  Watch a few movies.  Watch this one!

All I want for Christmas from Scott Garred on Vimeo.



Scott Garred

Georgia, by the sea... here's to you 

I journeyed to Austin, TX on 10/15 with about 30 songs.  It was a rough go at first.  My flight leaving San Francisco was scheduled to leave at 6:15pm and supposed to be arriving by midnight.  In reality I left SF at 10:40pm and arrived by taxi at Tom's house at 5am.  I was feeling miserable.  It was supposed to be our biggest day of recording and I had no idea where the energy was going to come from.
This is my "Emotional Self" singing

The tracking went very smoothly because Tom is a true champion of the drum kit and arrangements were completed for many songs quickly.  It helped immensely that Tyler already had amazing drum sounds.  He's a great engineer (pay attention Austin bands).  Half the songs seemed destined to be fairly upbeat - rockers really.  We were done with about 8 by the end of the day. Was it GBV that had an album called "Do the collapse?"  That's what I did next.
Tom is one of the best (the one on the right)

Tyler and I spent all of Monday morning singing lead vocals and redoing some bass, adding acoustic guitars, etc... I think this was a 16 hour day and incredibly productive.  Solo guitar and keyboard songs were recorded during this day as well.  I think our track count was climbing towards 15 and I knew there were more songs to be chased.  Not bad for day two.
Video - keyboard overdub on "Big Things"

Most afternoons were spent with me working alone while Tyler picked his daughter up from school and prepared dinner for his family.  It was during these times that I explored!  I played one called "Tiny things" on an old church organ with whatever drum sounds it provided. Everyone liked this approach so I kept at it with a Tom Waits cover done in the same fashion.  I also used these afternoons to track the songs I knew needed a quiet approach with just the right feeling behind it.  Most evenings would see Tyler and I reconvening to continue overdubs and getting rather silly due to lack of airflow, and exhaustion.  I often went into a voice which can only be described as "Nick Cave/Elvis standup comic thing" when takes started to break down - these takes are in the vault.  

Shawn came by on Tuesday night to fix his guitar parts, add new ones, and let Tyler and I have our turns as well.  With lead vocals, new bass, and some awesome guitar parts the songs were taking shape.  

Shawn simply painting

By Wednesday night we were done (nearly 20 songs) except for percussion, vocal harmonies, and extra bits not thought of yet. I still had one song left to track and it proved to be a rocker complete with a nasty sounding farfisa organ. Instant love of a whole new kind.  It ended up on two songs and I tried to steal it but Tyler caught me trying to smuggle it out in an ice-cream cone.
Tyler can I have this?

By Thursday or Friday Shawn and I had some free time with no serious parts to chase down. Naturally, we decided to start another new song.  I shared with him my iPhone recordings and he and I chose to work on one strangely called, "Georgia, by the sea."  It was one that I had made several stream of consciousness lyrical takes of and I simply wrote out my favorite bits.  Shawn and I arranged it and we worked on it all afternoon.  It's one of my favorites.
Tom: cymbal overdub by lamp light

Everyday was productive and everyday was super fun.  It far exceeded my expectations of coming to Austin to start an album.  I had figured that, at best, I would have a lot of great progress towards a bunch of unfinished songs.  By Saturday, our last day, we were finishing up rough mixes.  Tyler called them that.  There's nothing really rough about them actually.  

(L to R: Tyler, Shawn, Me, Tom)

My other goals regarding this trip were to eat as many tacos as possible.  Tyler took me to a place called Tyson's before our last working day.  The sign at Tyson's said "You get a free taco if you play a song on our ukulele."  I thought, perfect!  I can do that and it's a song we didn't get to track called "Personal theme song."  
Imagine a world where any song is worth a taco

To summarize this amazing week I would say that it was a personal journey with my best friends.  We warped through time and space chasing down every melody possible.  I can't believe it's over.
Shawn and I had one final toast!
Cheers to you all!